Thursday, March 18, 2010

Favorite Things: Part 4

We're in the home stretch! Now that you've learned about my love for hot cereal, tortillas, and crackers, I wanted to tell you about my favorite bread (just to round out our carb fest!). I discovered this Ener-G High Fiber Loaf in the fall and now always have a loaf on-hand.

When I was first diagnosed as gluten intolerant as a kid, my mom and I tried so many different breads, trying to find one that had a decent taste. There were the paper-white loaves that needed to be burnt to have any taste, the ones that crumble at the touch, and those that were so dense they sat like rocks in your stomach. Now, thanks to tons of experimentation and a broader gluten free audience to cater to, companies are creating some really wonderful breads for gluten free eaters.

I picked this high fiber loaf because of its nutrition stats, taste, and versatility, and haven't been disappointed yet!

My favorite way to eat this bread is toasted up either with some peanut butter or jelly or for an egg breakfast sandwich, which I often enjoy.


For a weekend treat, I've used this bread to make french toast. Just dip in a mixture of egg whites, almond milk, cinnamon, and vanilla and then cook on the stove until golden brown.

Past toppings have included: peanut butter, sugar free syrup, and fresh berries.


Another favorite is garlic bread!

Just as with any loaf of bread, the possibilities are endless with what you can use this for! That in-and-of itself is a great reason to have a go-to bread staple in your gluten free pantry!



Enjoy!

1 comment: