Saturday, March 20, 2010

Going out with a bang!

I have to say, for the last official day of winter, it sure went out with a bang. Seriously, what could be better than this on a day when you get off of work early?!

Winter's last official day clocked in at 70 degrees. That, ladies and gents, is exactly my kind of winter!  Just compare the views from today to those from one month ago, during our week chock full of blizzards.

I cannot tell you how happy I am that winter weather is behind us (hopefully for good!).

I started the day off with a berry-filled bowl of hot cereal. I added about 1/4c frozen berries and cherries and a couple of fresh diced strawberries to my BRM hot cereal with chia seed pudding. All topped with PB and a few sliced almonds.


I could not wait to break into my lunch today for a very good reason - leftover lentil sloppy joes! I think this was even better the second day after the ingredients had time to come together a bit more. I had it with a corn tortilla and a spinach salad with some roasted veggies.



I spent about an hour and a half on my roof, catching up on some reading and Sarah Time. It was actually pretty windy and thus a bit chilly, but sitting in the sun felt sooooo good!



I had a pear with PB after, cleaned up the apartment, and then got ready to head out with friends. Lauren's boyfriend was in town on his way to a half marathon in Virginia Beach and she organized a surprise party for him! David is leaving a very big birthday behind and we wanted to send it off in style.

We went to an Italian restaurant called Vapianos where each diner gets their own card upon entering and as you order, you simply add your food, drinks, etc. to the card and pay when you leave. I started off with a glass of red wine (and had half of a second) while we waited for the guest of honor to arrive.


After hanging around for quite some time, we were ready for food. They do not have very many gluten free options (I wish they had a GF pasta!) so I ordered the large Insalata Mista which is chock-full of veggies: radishes, cucumber, tomato, zucchini, carrots... and topped with shaved parmesan and a few almond slices. It was good and I had plenty of room left for dessert.
 (this doesn't do justice to the size of the salad)

Lauren surprised David with a cake, and I did enjoy some of the [very blue] frosting on top of my own gluten free rice crispy treat that Lauren brought me, which was incredibly nice! As you can see, everyone enjoyed the blue frosting!


It was a great night and I was happy to get to sleep in this morning to officially welcome Spring! There's not a cloud in the sky and I'm itching to get out and run a couple of errands before visiting the roof again for some reading. It's amazing how much my magazine reading has backed up since I'm not able to peruse them on the elliptical machine!  Oh the gym, how I miss thee...

Had a pear and few strawberries alongside an egg sandwich with a bit of 2% Mexican cheese and hot sauce. This totally hit the spot!


Off to enjoy this GLORIOUS weather! Have a fantastic day!!!

1 comment: