Thursday, March 18, 2010

All things spring

Have I mentioned how happy warm weather and sun make me? It's amazing how much the weather can impact my mood!  Over the past few days, the spring weather has definitely been a reason to stay positive and happy!

Yesterday morning I went in for my MRI bright and early. It wasn't a horrible experience. I laid on the machine for about 20 minutes while they took pictures of my foot. They played music over the headphones I had to wear to protect my ears - gotta love Billy Joel's Greatest Hits at 8am!!

I had breakfast when I got into the office (the usual hot cereal and egg white, which is not photogenic - trust me!) and worked throughout the morning. Because I had breakfast an hour later, I wasn't hungry for lunch until after 1pm. I had a quick errand to run, and once I realized I forgot my lunch, I decided to come home and have lunch since it was on my way.

I whipped up some more baked beans and munched on a pickle and a carrot (I saved the 2nd for an afternoon snack).

I was also craving something cold and my mind immediately jumped to a smoothie. A lot of food bloggers are obsessed with "Green Monsters" that have banana, spinach, rice or almond milk plus other ingredients. I was dubious about the taste of any drink that included spinach but decided to whip up on my own version.



In my smoothie:
  • 1c unsweetened almond milk
  • 1c frozen cherry and berry mix
  • 1 large handful spinach
  • 1/4 T almond butter
  • 1/4 t cacao nibs

To my surprise, this smoothie turned out to be quite purple and was actually very refreshing and filling! I could NOT taste the spinach, which was a good thing. I usually have a smoothie with water or tea so this was definitely a creamier, heavier drink than I've had in a long time. I might repeat it - just half of this kept me full for a few hours and I had the rest as a snack with my carrot.

For dinner I roasted up some okra, carrots, beets, and brussel sprouts and had some of each alongside a small bit of sweet potato.



Dessert was a small pear drizzled with some chocolate PB.


Today I woke up eager to get out in the sunshine and hoping to hear from my doctor regarding my MRI. To start my day I had hot cereal with a few tweaks. I mixed 1/2T chia seeds with 1/4c almond milk and let that sit overnight instead of the usual 1/8c. It pumped up the volume in the bowl! I also used a couple of chopped strawberries (which I bought fresh) with a small drop of chocolate PB. It was a refreshing change but the chocolate in the morning was a bit sweet :-)



I heard from the doctor mid-morning. Basically, I have an advanced case of sesamoiditis which as affected and displaced the sesamoid bone in my foot. If that confused you, then that makes 2 of us! Thanks to google, I could figure it out. The next course of treatment was a cortisone shot, which I scheduled for that afternoon.  I was hungrier much earlier than I usually am so I snacked on a small pear to hold me over 'til lunch.


Lunch was a salad topped with a bit of provolone cheese and leftover roasted veggies alongside the last of my bbq beans. I also had the last of my seaweed salad from earlier in the week.


I stayed busy (and distracted) right up until it was time to leave for the doctor. I'd been dreading getting this shot all day - seriously, who wants a shot in the bottom of your foot? Not me! The folks in my doctor's office are really nice and the nurse came in and held my hand during the shot. I'm not normally a wimp when it comes to health stuff - I'm so used to poking and prodding, but I was really appreciative to have someone to distract me from the shot in my foot. He had numbed it before, which helped, but I definitely hope that I don't have to do that again!

I felt a bit queasy after I left (and that I was walking with one foot asleep!) and decided to treat myself to something bubbly to soothe my stomach. A slurpee! I only had about half of this small Crystal Light mango and pina colada slurpee but it did the trick. I used to get these all the time after a long / rough doctor's appointment so it was familiar and comforting!

Work was over by then and I headed home. I ran into a few friends in Dupont Circle and sat outside catching up with them for a while. That definitely made me forget all about my little numb foot! Also, when I arrived at home, look what was waiting for me:


My parents (brother, and dog too) sent me this little plant to brighten up the day. I love it!

I was starving when I walked in the door and extremely excited to try out this recipe for Lentil Sloppy Joe's! Another childhood favorite (the meat version, that is). let me preface this meal by saying "OMG!" It was sooooo good!

I let the ingredients simmer for about 20 minutes before draining off the extra water.


And the final product, served two ways - on 2 slices of toast topped with ~1/8c cheese and in lettuce cups.



This was exactly what I was craving and am sooooooo excited for the leftovers! It was tangy, sweet, and savory. All around deliciousness! Seriously, this is a new Gluten Free Grazer staple!

Tonight is another low key night of icing and elevating my foot. I'm a little worried about what happens when the numbness wears off. We shall see!  I'm thinking about an apply and PB for dessert but we'll see what happens!

Have a good night. Hooray for Friday and Favorite Thing #5!!

No comments:

Post a Comment