Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Past and Present

Hi there!  I realized that in my Sunday night sleepiness, I failed to give details to the great dinner that my friends and I had. Since that was more fun than the news I got today, I wanted to start things off with a flashback. We went to Jaleo, which is a Spanish tapas restaurant. I hadn't been there in over 2 years and forgot about how good their food is!

We selected the restaurant because of their gluten free menu and my friend and I immediately asked for one as soon as we were seated. The host asked if anyone else had allergies, explaining that in addition to their gluten free menu, they have a fish / shellfish allergy menu as well as dairy free! Especially at a place where so many people share dishes, it was really great to know that my food would be safe - something I've often had problems with at other restaurants in DC.

The decor is colorful and fun, modern with a touch of comfort.



And we were ready to get down to business once we were seated. Because of everyone's allergies and food preferences, we didn't share dishes but ordered our own. Those that could shared bites and tastes. Everything was beautiful and tasted delicious!

I ordered: the beet and citrus salad with sherry vinaigrette on the side(didn't eat the blue cheese - don't like the taste)


Sauteed cauliflower with olives and dates


Wild mushroom risotto topped with cheese (I forget which kind)


It was a perfect wrap-up meal with Marsha and friends!

 Flash forward to today which began [not so] bright and early. I did not sleep very well last night due to some noisy neighbors >:-(  I was headed back to my new BFF, my foot doctor, for the ever-present broken foot. I enjoyed from blueberry hot cereal and an egg white and then was on my way.

If all had gone according to plan, I would have had a great shot at getting the 'ok' to not wear the boot anymore. However, man plans and G-d laughs. (And I then, use cliches) My foot has remained swollen all around the big toe joint which means that it's not healing property.

I am now going for an MRI tomorrow morning so that we can hopefully figure out what's going on.  I've tried to stay really positive and good-natured about this because injuries happen and I don't think there was one specific reason which caused me to break my foot. However, it's been a month now since I've really worked out and I'm starting to miss my endorphins, along with putting on a regular left shoe. I will make sure to report back with what we find!

I was pretty upset when I arrived at work and wasn't hungry until well after my usual lunch time. When hunger did hit, I enjoyed a 1/2c of seaweed salad and leftover noodle stir fry from last night.



Snacked on an apple and fruit leather with some blueberry tea


And then stopped by Trader Joe's to pick up a few things. Spring has definitely arrived in DC - it's going to be in the 60s (and maybe even 70) for the rest of the week! Amazing!  I started off dinner with a salad:

Romaine lettuce, beets, a carrot, topped with peach salsa and a couple of crumbled tortilla chips

Then I had a BBQ inspired dinner using a 6-bean mix I picked up at the store. I heated up a serving of beans and made a BBQ sauce using mustard, syrup, ketchup, garlic powder, and onion powder. I served it over some brown rice alongside green beans. Yum! The beans tasted like my grandmother's version.


It's Biggest Loser night and catching up on a few things online. I'm glad that tonight's episode is focusing on a lot of other aspects of the competition besides working out. I need to not watch others do what I cannot right now.

See y'all in the morning :)

No comments:

Post a Comment