Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Good Day, Sunshine!

Ohmigosh I almost forgot how much I love the sun and warmth! The news is saying that this "spring break" won't last but I'll take any reminder that the warmth is returning soon!



I had to work from home again today because I'm still not back to "normal" with my stress fracture. It felt nice to be able to put on comfortable clothes, but I am definitely missing my usual routine. I had an early doctor's appointment to start the day because of this new aggravation with my foot. I knew I wanted to make my breakfast bright and sunny to match the weather.

In anticipation of sunshine, I pulled some frozen pineapple out of the freezer to defrost overnight. I also combined 1/2 T of chia seeds and about 1/8c almond milk to make a vegan "pudding." Mix the two together until there are no lumps and then let stand for about 20 minutes. You should have a gel-like substance. Refrigerate this overnight and stir into your hot cereal in the morning for added volume, texture, and creaminess!



Pineapple Hot Cereal:
  • 1/4c mix of BRM hot cereal and buckwheat groats
  • ~1c water
  • pinch of sea salt
  • 1/4c frozen pineapple
  • chia seed pudding
  • cinnamon
  • pinch of raisins
  • few drops of maple syrup
  • 1/2T AB
  • light sprinkle of crushed sliced almonds

This was actually a really great mix. I enjoyed the different textures in the cereal! It did feel like some added sweetness was missing so next time I might use a drop of agave nectar as well.

It was then off to the doctor. Even he was surprised to see my foot swollen again and I am on orders to rest, ice, and elevate it often for the next few days to avoid too much of a build up of scar tissue. He wanted to put in a cortisone shot today but I decided to see how this week goes. If I'm still unable to put any pressure on my toe and the ball of my foot, then I will be getting that shot Friday. Woohoo.

I brought my work with me to do at a coffee shop next door while I had my morning green tea and a sparkling water. It felt great to work in the bright morning sun! The next thing I knew, I'd been there for 2 hours and I was ready to head home for lunch.



I put a slice of 2% provolone cheese in a Food for Life brown rice tortilla and then added some veggies for a fun wrap. I added: lettuce, roasted carrots, beets, roasted mushrooms, dijon mustard and some hot sauce. Yum! This baby kept me full for a good 4 hours.



My afternoon snack was a sliced apple with cinnamon and a light sprinkle of PB and I was able to get a head start on dinner.


Dinner was a bowl of my latest batch of soup, using the Bob's Red Mill 13 bean mix. I made 1/4 of the recipe on the bag and added a few extra ingredients: veggie broth, sliced baby portabello mushrooms, onion, diced tomatoes, 2c TJ's greens variety, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder. I had one serving of soup plus a salad with beets, carrots, and honey mustard dressing, and a slice of garlic cheese toast.



I'm currently icing my foot and watching the Biggest Loser - it's still one of the highlights of my week! I'm thinking that my dessert will be a pear and perhaps a blueberry muffin. We shall see.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment