Saturday, May 1, 2010

Paying it Forward



I am proud to share that last year, my mom - a breast cancer survivor- and I participated in and completed the 39.3 mile Avon Walk for Breast Cancer here in DC. It is officially our 1 year anniversary which I was reminded of yesterday as I spotted the route markers around my neighborhood.  When I saw them I instantly knew that I wanted to pay it forward. You see, you don't do this walk with your iPod or other ways to distract you. And the supporters who lined various parts of our walk last year were some of the best, most uplifting surprises we found along the way.

So, last night I made this poster and pulled out my pink "Finishers" t-shirt and set the alarm to wake up and cheer on walkers as they neared the 9 mile mark.



I was inspired by the people who are walking today: young, old, fit, less fit, men, women, moms, daughters, grandmothers, and many more. The money the participants raised will go towards supporting breast cancer awareness and treatment in the DC area.  What struck me most was that as I was cheering on these folks who have already walked 9 miles this morning, they were thanking me for cheering and supporting them. I in fact wanted to show them support and that I cared, and here they were thanking me. It was a very touching moment for me.



PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - If you see large groups of people walking around the DC-area today, cheer them on. It will bring a smile on their face and inspire them to finish Day 1 of this experience!!



After cheering, I came up and am eating an egg white with a bit of 2% provolone and an apple with PB and cinnamon.



Now, I'm off to explore some Embassies!

No comments:

Post a Comment