Saturday, May 22, 2010

New Recipe Inspiration!


This week I've tried not 1, but 2 new recipes and have not been disappointed. Even better - both of them were naturally gluten free! I'm no stranger to modifying recipes to fit my eating style but when I don't have to worry, it's even better.

Thursday night I tried a recipe I've been reading about on Meghann's blog: nut-butter encrusted fries. I made mine with:

  • 1 large rutabaga, peeled and chopped into fry shape
  • 1/2T creamy 365 peanut butter
  • 1/2T roasted flax almond butter (TJs)
  • ~6 sprays of olive oil in my Misto
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash and peel your rutabaga (mine was coated in wax. gross.). Cut into fry shapes.

In a large bowl, mix nut butters and oil until evenly mixed through. Add rutabaga fries and toss until all pieces are coated evenly. Arrange on foil-lined baking sheet and bake until crisp, flipping once.



These were delicious! The nut butters added a deep flavor to the rutabaga and were delicious dipped in a bit of organic ketchup. I had about 1/3 of the batch with some baked beans, carrot fries and a salad topped with roasted onion and zucchini.



I then proceeded to stress eat through Grey's Anatomy. First up: last 1/4c of vanilla soy ice cream with 2 strawberries and then a waffle.



As I mentioned yesterday, I had to read for a bit to calm down after the finale. In this magazine, which my mom got me a subscription to for Chanukah, I stumbled upon a recipe for Sweet and Sour roasted vegetables.



I ran a few errands after work and all I wanted when I got home was to order something to pick up for dinner. 2 problems - there was nothing I wanted that was going to be healthy or 100% gluten free. Into my head immediately popped this recipe which was exactly what I was craving, with a few modifications.
  • 1/2c pineapple chunks
  • 1/2c chopped onion
  • 1.25c diced bell pepper (I had yellow on-hand)
  • 1/5c frozen broccoli florets
  • 1/4 tsp +1/8 sugar in the raw
  • salt and pepper
  • GF teriyaki sauce to taste (I used a splash)
  • brown rice (or any other desired carb of your choice)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In the meantime, cook your rice since it will take just as long to cook it as it will to prep and cook your veggies. 



Cut your veggies and fruit and arrange on a foil-lined cookie tray sprayed with non-stick spray. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and sugar and then roast for about 30 minutes or until veggies begin to brown.



Serve over brown rice and add teriyaki sauce to taste if you want.

I had about 1oz of tofu in the fridge that I needed to use so I added that to my bowl and garnished with some green onion.



This was SOOOOO good and flavorful. A definite repeat and I'm excited that I have leftovers in my fridge!!

I'm heading off for a Saturday of adventures with a friend. I'm hoping the rain holds off until after! Enjoy your Saturday!
(the usual - blueberry BRM w/ 1/2T nut butter and egg white)

No comments:

Post a Comment