Sunday, May 9, 2010

10 Veggie Dinner and a Great Weekend

Why is it that the weekends always seem to fly by? Especially the ones where you end up playing a bit of catch up. I made a list and ended up crossing everything off of it so I guess it was a success. There was some fun and sunshine (despite DC forgetting that it's May and not March) enjoyed!  To all of you moms - I hope you had a great Mother's Day! Also, I want to give a special shout-out to 2 cousins who graduated from college this weekend!

Saturday morning started off with 3 loads of laundry O:-)  Breakfast was interwoven between runs downstairs to the laundry room. I had maple-berry hot cereal using a the last 1/8 tbsp of a packet of the amazing Justin's Maple Almond Butter. Ohmigosh this is one of the best nut butters I've had. I wish I could find some around DC...



A trip to Whole Foods was also on the schedule yesterday. Groceries included:



  • D'Anjou pears
  • frozen okra
  • strawberries
  • Almond Breeze
  • plain non-fat yogurt (buy one, get one)
  • So Delicious Soy Chocolate and Vanilla Ice cream (on sale plus a $1 off coupon!)
  • zucchini
  • roasted buckwheat
  • onion
  • 365 peanut butter
  • dijon mustard
  •  tomatoes
  •  Romaine lettuce
  • Baby spinach
  • oranges


I needed a rest after that for my foot and then I was off again. I attended a graduation dinner for a woman I work with through the sorority which ended up being my whole night. It was such a lovely dinner and I enjoyed getting to meet some of her friends and family!

This morning I headed to the farmers market before breakfast to pick up kale and Fuji apples. It was cooler out than I was expecting so I, of course, wanted more hot cereal. To mix it up, I used a large chopped strawberry and frozen blueberries with my standard BRM and buckwheat mix with almond milk, water, cinnamon, and chia.



I had this salad with romaine, fat free feta, dried cranberries, almond slices and a crumbled Gone cracker and carrot before heading out on a little adventure. 



For the past year, a grocery store in Georgetown was being renovated and it just opened. Given my love of grocery stores, I had to check it out! All-in-all I was pretty impressed - there were 2 full aisles of organic and allergy-friendly foods as well as being interspersed throughout other parts of the store. It is nice to finally have a "normal" sized store that is comparable to any grocery store in Texas. There's so many more options!  The store also offers free pedi-cab rides to and from it for shoppers which is cool because this store is not very accessible by public transportation.

I nibbled on a few samples while I did my shopping and then made my way home. After some relaxing, I did some food prep for the week and dinner!  Tonights dinner included: kale chips, a taste of roasted carrot, zucchini, and radish, 4 leftover sweet potato slices, a serving of baked beans, and wilted spinach topped with 1/4c brown rice and a stuffed portobello mushroom I made last week. I drizzled it with honey mustard dressing and hot sauce. Yum. 10 veggies!



That didn't hold me over too well so I had a pear with cinnamon and chocolate PB and a Van's waffle with a drop of sugar-free syrup and PB. I'm finally full and it's time to get some sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment