Monday, July 26, 2010

Winding Down the Weekend

How was the rest of your weekend?  Hopefully relaxing and filled with fun :)

I left off with lunch on Saturday. The rest of the afternoon was pretty low key. The temperature in DC hit 100 with a heat index of 110! It sounded like no fun what-so-ever so I continued to tackle a few things on my to-do list and then hunker down with The Girl Who Played With Fire.I am hooked and am making great progress through it. I have a goal though: I have to be finished with the book by my trip to Miami next Friday because it's actually my mom's copy that she loaned to me. We're making the swap when we see each other.

While I read I snacked on a chopped peach with about 1/4c of Chobani Pomegranite, which is quite delicious!


For dinner I whipped up a veggie pad thai of sorts that was delicious. This bowl contained:


  • half a serving of rice noodles
  • chopped onion
  • one diced carrot
  • half a bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup broccoli
  • 1 oz leftover tofu
  • egg white
  • soy sauce, water, sweet and sour sauce
I cooked the noodles per the instructions on the package. While they boiled away I chopped my veggies and heated them in a non-stick sprayed pan until carrots were softened.

I drained and rinsed the noodles. Then I added the broccoli to the veggie mix. Once softened, I added the tofu, noodles, and sauce and stir fried until liquid evaporated. I cleared the middle of the pan, added the egg white, stirred til it set, and then mixed it up with the whole mix.

I of course added hot sauce and a splash more soy sauce. This was delicious, fresh, and while not 100% authentic, was just as tasty and healthier than take out!


I spent the night out with friends on the roof. It was still around 90 which made for quite the humid night but check out the view we had :)



Yesterday morning I woke up and made a quick trip to the farmers market to pick up a couple of things. It was super hot once again so I made it home as soon as possible.

I finally was hungry for breakfast and whipped up another egg sandwich. This sandwich had hot sauce, TJ's roasted red pepper spread, spinach, parmesan cheese, and an egg white on 2 slices of my favorite high fiber bread. With a fresh peach on the side.


I made my way to visit a friend and spend some time poolside. We had a great time catching up but after a mere hour and 15 minutes we called it quits. It was just too hot to enjoy being out in the sun. I never thought I'd say those words...

We had great timing though because no sooner did I walk in the door of my apartment a major storm hit. At its peak, I couldn't even see across the street it was raining so hard! I had a serious craving for french fries but ended up eating a veggie burger on top of romaine with roasted okra on the side. I wasn't about to go outside until the rain stopped! It was also around this time a horrible headache started developing.



I took advantage of indoor time and did some cooking prep for the week. I ended up snacking on some watermelon as I cut it up as well as a few bites of brown rice.


For dinner, I knew I needed to satisfy my fry craving. I picked up a salad as well as a small order of fries from the burger place next door. It was so pleasant out! I was so glad the humidity was wiped out after a brutal week. The fries were delicious and exactly what I was craving!  I felt like I balanced things out with the veggies, even if I ate the whole order :-) They were just too good and sometimes, nothing is better than fresh, hot french fries in the summer, especially when dipped in organic ketchup.


My headache forced me into bed really early (think 9:45pm) and I tried everything to get rid of it. Frozen peas on my face (yes, the same bag I use for my foot - I wrapped it in a towel), yoga and stretching, rubbing and applying pressure. Nothing helped so I succumbed to Advil and finally got some sleep!

It wasn't the perfect ending to a nice weekend but I definitely appreciated the early bed time!

How was the rest of your weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment