Friday, July 30, 2010

The Flow of the Week

Happy weekend everyone! Are you ready to relax? I know I am! 

As much as I love to do something on a whim every now and then, I have to admit that I'm a creature of habit. It's not too terribly OCD, but I find myself maintaining a routine that works for me and my schedule and crave that order. In the last few weeks though, I have noticed that my routine is a bit off. Why? I don't know for sure but there's a few things I can pinpoint:
  • My exercise routine changed and became more sporadic
  • Work has picked up leaving me with busy days full of meetings and things to do
  • I'm studying for the GMAT
  • I'm working on some major improvements to the Gluten Free Grazer :-)
  • I'm snacking at night even when I know I shouldn't. Especially carbs like cereal or toast
  • There's just lots of things going on!
None of them are excuses and I am definitely not complaining. I'm definitely challenging myself to manage my time wisely and have packed evenings many nights on top of full days. It all makes me wonder what'll happen once I toss some business school classes into the mix in a month. Oy. I want to find a healthy balance!!!

Nonetheless I promise that my mind is always thinking about ways to keep things interesting here on the blog and Once I've tweaked my routine, blogging should follow suite as well.

Are you a person who craves routine or loves to fly by the seat of your pants?

One thing that has been great and consistent has been the food.  Yesterday's breakfast was a delicious bowl of overnight cereal in the crack crunchy almond butter with flax jar. There were cherries and blueberries added to the standard mix with a few crushed almond slices on top.



I clearly hated it ;)


Lunch was a salad topped with veggies and a small grilled chicken breast. Plus half a serving on Food Should Taste Goods. I'm addicted to them!



Then temptation struck. These surfaced in our office and while I intended to have just a few, I had the bag and enjoyed every drop. Sometimes you just have to have regular ole Lays!



Before I left work I snacked on a serving of watermelon that I cut up on Sunday. It helped hydrate me for a nice, albeit humid, walk across town for a friend's birthday happy hour. I didnt drink anything but nibbled on a few chips before heading back home (walked again.) It was a great way to get in ~3.75 miles of exercise after work.

I had the last half of this black bean soup I brought home from Whole Foods, plus a small salad topped with hummus and a pear. The rest of the night was low key.



This morning I was craving carbs and something savory - enter my favorite Friday breakfast: egg white sandwich on an English muffin. I had it open face with spinach, red pepper spread, and hot sauce with a couple of strawberries on the side. This Friday "treat" breakfast is definitely becoming part of my routine!



Mid-morning I had to go get a DTap (tetanus) booster shot so that I can take class. It was quick and painless and I got a cool multi-colored Garfield band-aid. That appealed to my inner 5-year old.

Lunch was a big salad with romaine, spinach, cannelini beans, carrot, asparagus, broccoli, with hummus and red pepper on the side. Plus some more chips.



Afternoon snack was even more watermelon and then I made my way to a treat to kick off my weekend. I stopped into a nearby salon after work to kick off my weekend with a 15 minute chair massage. It felt sooooooooo good, loosened up my shoulders and upper back, and quickly snapped me into weekend-mode. I <3 making that switch!

Dinner was 2 part. The first was kale chips and some carrot fries while I waited for tofu to bake.


The second was a half cup of brown rice with spinach and tofu on top. I bought Nasoya Lite tofu this week at the store as compared to my usual extra firm 365 brand. I really liked the texture of the Nasoya tofu and the fact that the whole block is only 200 calories! Don't worry, I didn't eat it all...but I could...



Then I roasted and cut up beets that have been in my fridge since mid-June when I went berry picking. They are just as delicious and fresh tasting as the day I bought them! I felt like a purple smurf though :)


It's been a perfectly relaxing evening and I'm at least grateful that my favorite part of the week has finally arrived! Of course I unwound with some warm, carb-y goodness O:-)

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment