Saturday, July 3, 2010

Some extra time

Friday morning kicked off bright an early. I had the last part of orientation to gear up for on campus.  I decided to give Overnight "Oats" a second try since it would require very little prep time in the morning.
I was pleasantly surprised by how much more I liked this batch than my first.



Overnight Ingredients:
  • 1/4c BRM and buckwheat
  • 1/4c almond milk
  • 1/4c frozen blueberries and 6 cherry halves
  • 1/2T chia seeds
  • splash vanilla 
  • cinnamon
In the morning:
  • a couple of splashes almond milk
  • 1/2T PB
  • pinch crushed almond slices
I cooked the overnight mixture in the microwave for 2 minutes, minus the fruit and chia seeds. Those were stirred in once the hot cereal was cooked. I let the mixture cool, stirred once more, and popped it into the fridge.

When I woke up, I added a bit more almond milk to loosen up the cereal and added my toppings. This was much better and more flavorful, probably due to the almond milk, vanilla, and extra cinnamon. Look at how the chia seeds plump up over night - it makes for a fun, nutty texture. I may be a convert!!



Lunch after orientation wrapped up was another packed salad and wrap. This is a brown rice tortilla spread with red pepper spread, 2oz turkey, and spinach. With a salad of spinach and romaine, bell pepper, olives, and 21 Seasoning Salute.


Do you like my new cup? I got it at convention last week. It's hot pink but turns purple when the cup gets cold. So much fun!


This lunch kept me full ALL afternoon!  We closed early and I spent a couple of hours catching up on my reading on the roof. There was a great breeze and no humidity = perfection!

I spent my night at the Nats game with friends. It was a great way to continue enjoying the weather! By the time we arrived I was starving and got my favorite ballpark treat - Ben's Chili Bowl! I had a bowl of veggie chili plus about half of an order of fries. They weren't crisp and left me disappointed. For dessert, I had an apple. Plus at least 1.5L of water - I was thirsty after my afternoon in the sun!



Our seats were in right field, apparently in home-run territory because of this sign. It made me pay better attention to the game!


The Nats lost but did rally in the 9th inning to make it interesting. Otherwise, it was a perfect evening to sit outside with friends and enjoy summer.  What do you think of these sunglasses? Vicki let me try hers on...


I ended up nibbling when I got home but finally went to sleep. It's amazing how some extra time put back in your day can set the tone for a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment