Friday, July 30, 2010

How to Cut a Watermelon

At the farmers market on Sunday, I picked up this beautiful watermelon! I have been seriously craving this delicious summer fruit but had yet to buy a melon this summer. Why? I didn't want to buy one that was too big for me to eat before it spoiled AND, when you have to carry a heavy fruit on top of other groceries .85 miles back from the store, you think twice before you make the purchase.

At the market though, the stars aligned and I snagged up a watermelon without a second thought. They were priced at $1.25 a pound, and no melon over $5. For local, fresh melon, done. Plus, I only had to carry the ~7lb beauty 2 blocks. It was a deal all around :)



I cut up my watermelon so that I could enjoy it all week long. This process only took me 15 minutes and there wasn't too much clean up!

First cut the watermelon in half.



Then slice each half. I got 3 or 4 slices out of each half.



For each piece, slice the melon all the way down to the white part of the rind. Then run your knife along the rind freeing up the pieces you just cut.



Depending on your preference, you can cut the pieces of melon into smaller chunks or keep them bigger.


Repeat until your whole melon is cut, put in sealable containers, and enjoy!



My one melon yielded these 2 huge containers. I have been enjoying every bite thus far B-)

No comments:

Post a Comment