Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Snowpocalypse - the never-ending story

Greetings from Day 4 of my snowcation in Washington, DC. I have mixed feelings about all this - on the one hand, it combines the best of 2 worlds: having a job and being on vacation. Most of my friends had work canceled too so we get to play and I don't have to think about job searching and unemployment like I did over the summer. And, today I woke up with a fire in my belly to get the heck out of the house, wishing I had to go to work for a change of scenery, so this post will be quick as a skiddadle out the door for a long gym session and a couple of invented errands, my faves!

Yesterday's eats:
Lunch was a nice big salad with almonds, dried cranberries, and feta followed by a 1/4c of brussel risotto and a serving of my black bean mix.

 

 


My snack came a bit early (but at its usual time) since I ate breakfast and lunch later, but I went with it because of my 30-Day Shred workout after breakfast. I had the last half-cup of these TJ's seaweed puffs - like Cheetos but salty with a good seaweed flavor. It's a bit unusual but I had fun nibbling on them here and there. I also had an apple.

 

 


Dinner was polenta with an Italian veggie-inspired sauce / stew creation. I sauteed broccoli, spinach, a few bell pepper strips, ~1/2c diced tomatoes, 1/2c edameme, and some tomato sauce and let it simmer together. It's looks a bit sloppy but was warm, creamy, and comforting!  I had a small glass of wine with it to calm my cabin fever nerves.



Then, the best part of my day - meeting up with some friends for a snow day celebration. I bolted at the door as soon as I got the call and made a quick pit stop at Whole Foods to get a few more apples and pears before the next storm. Luckily, they had both but didn't have much else. This was the scene last night:



We are all clearly going nutty with this snow and it was fun to get out of the house / commiserate with friends!



I had a quick breakfast of a sliced pear with an 1.5 egg white sandwich. Yum!



Already, hopefully this all made sense. I'm itching to get out and move before we get another 12 - 18 inches here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment