Sunday, February 28, 2010

Happy Hamantaschen!



I am quite proud of myself. My first ever attempt at making hamantaschen was pretty successful, if I do say so myself. These also got a thumbs up from a few samplers and I hope to share them with others because I do not need all of this temptation sitting in my apartment!

I used a recipe from a great gluten free blogger. Her recipes always sound delicious and this was my first time to try one of her recipes. I did make a couple of swaps for these cookies: 1 cup of gf baking mix and 1 cup of almond meal (instead of blanched almond flour), and 1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce and 1 tbsp grapeseed oil instead of 2 tbsp of oil.

Making the cookies was a fun process. I used a wine glass instead of a cookie cutter and found that wetting the rim of the cup (and my fingers) made the process of rolling and cutting the dough and shaping the cookies much easier since the dough was pretty sticky.


I made 3 flavors - fig, berry, and dark chocolate peanut butter and have sampled 2 of the 3 so far. They are delicious! Light, not crumbly, and a nice hint of almond flavor.  I had 1 for an "appetizer" and one for dessert at lunch and was never really hungry for a proper dinner. The almond meal and no added sugar help make these a healthier treat than most cookies.


I finished off a half serving of tomato soup with a Gone Cracker crumbled in plus some beets, and spaghetti squash for lunch - I was in desperate need of some vegetables.


I managed to run a couple of errands before meeting up with friends for Purim celebrations. At a happy hour, I enjoyed a glass of merlot and a few tortilla chips with salsa.

I must have been tired because I got 11 hours of sleep last night and am just about ready to start my day. I had another egg sandwich and pear, with about 1/4c frozen blueberries on the side.


The sun is shining and I'm going to peruse the farmers market, see a friend who's in town, and spend some serious time with Jillian Michaels for some weight lifting!

Enjoy the remainder of your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment