Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Early to bed

I am going to get to bed early in hopes of getting rid of this sick feeling once and for all!  Fortunately, the day was pretty quiet - I did not have energy for much besides sitting on my couch in sweats :)

For dinner tonight i baked some tempeh that I cubes and flavored with a bit of soy sauce. I served it with some roasted potatoes and a greens dish that I found here. I followed the instructions and added some hot sauce at the end. I definitely would make that dish again and am excited to have the leftover greens over some rice, or maybe mixed in with pasta...

 

  

 


Earlier in the afternoon I had a pear with some almond butter.



One of the nice things about working from home was that I could make a fresh lunch instead of buying or reheating something at work. Along with a salad, I whipped up a quick batch of risotto - an Italian's favorite "creamy" comfort food.  I used a couple of recipes for inspiration to create:
Broccoli and Brussel Sprout Risotto (both are high in vitamin C btw!)
1/2c Arborio rice
1c brussel sprouts, halved and trimmed on the bottom
1c chopped broccoli
~2c vegetable broth
3 cloves chopped garlic
salt, pepper
1/4 white onion, diced

First, bring a small pot of salted water to a boil and blanch the brussel sprouts for 2 - 3 minutes. Quickly remove them from the pot and place them in a bowl of ice water to stop them from cooking more.

Next, in a deep pan coated with cooking spray, cook the garlic onions for a few minutes until soft. You do not want them to brown. Add the rice and continue to stir the mixture for a few minutes, until the rice begins crackling. Pour in ~1/2c broth and continue to stir. Repeat this process  another 10 - 15 minutes. Add in the brussel sprouts and broccoli, salt, pepper, and more broth. Continue to stir often. After another 5 - 8 minutes, the rice will be gummy which means that it's done.

Add one final splash of broth to make the dish "creamy" and immediately remove from heat, allowing the dish to sit for a minute.

Makes ~4 servings (1/2c per serving). Top with some parmesan or robusto cheese and enjoy!

 

 


It was delicious and will be a great thing to have in the fridge during the impending blizzard that's scheduled to hit DC over the weekend! I enjoyed the last 1/4c of my chocolate soy ice cream and some cereal for my dessert.


And now, goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment