Saturday, February 27, 2010

A berry good day so far

My to-do list for today looks a little something like this:
  • bake muffins
  • lift weights / go to the gym (I'm trying to stay fit somehow with the toe thing)
  • make hamantaschen
So when I woke up this morning I knew a few things: a savory breakfast was in order, the sun is shining so I have no excuse to not go to the gym and run errands, and I only wanted to watch the super nerd cool documentary on Pearl Harbor on the History Channel.

So far, it's been a great day!  Breakfast was another egg sandwich (I wonder what my body's trying to tell me here) with 1 egg white and a pear drizzled with cinnamon and about 1/4 tablespoon of PB.



I soon got started with baking project #1 of the day: blueberry muffins! I assembled my ingredients, and used the recipe provided on the box of the gluten free muffin mix I purchased. I made a few changes to the recipe though. I used egg whites instead of whole eggs. Instead of 6 tbsp of butter, I used about 5.5 tbsp unsweetened applesauce and 1/2 tbsp of grapeseed oil. I added 1/2 tsp flax seed and 1 tbsp chia seeds for some extra nutrients and fiber since the mix was pretty "white."


First I combined the egg whites, applesauce / oil, and vanilla.Then I stirred in the flour and almond milk. Next came 3/4c thawed frozen blueberries (including about ~1/8c chopped strawberries that I needed to use or lose), flax, and chia, and then into muffin tins for baking.




The recipe yielded 16 muffins and I was excited to sample one for my morning snack!  These dairy-free beauties weigh in at: 115 calories, .75g fat, .75g fiber each. A pretty great treat to have! They are a bit gummier than a glutinous muffin but moist and delicious nonetheless.




After cleaning up a bit, I got started on project #2: hamantaschen. I followed the first part of this recipe and am now chilling the dough. About to lift some weights and get ready to finish these cookies up so I can get outside for a bit.


See ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment