Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Adventure Continues

Sadly, I said goodbye to Dad last night after dinner because I had plans for today while he was at his meeting. But, not before we enjoyed another delicious dinner with a couple of friends. We went to one of my dad's favorite restaurants in DC is the Asian fusion restaurant Asia Nine. I've written about it before on the blog because I also share my dad's love of Asian food. Last night did definitely not disappoint.

I started with a lychee (lee-chee) martini that was amazing. It had the perfect amount of sweetness which paired with the lychee berries the drink was served and flavored with.


(sorry for the blurred pics. I snapped photos on the sly)

For an appetizer I enjoyed the seaweed salad


And for my main course I got the Kapow on Rice, with veggies added and rice on the side.  I ate all of my veggies, half of the chicken, and about a third of the rice.


Dinner was a great time - we had many good laughs and kept ourselves entertained for over 3 hours!  There also might have been a stop at the new self-serve fro-yo place around the corner...

I woke up early this morning to get a couple of errands done before my big plans of the day. I popped over to the farmers market to pick up a few things because I was completely out of fresh fruit! This only happens in the Gluten Free Grazer apartment right before a long trip! This meant that I did a good job not letting any of my fresh produce I purchased last week go to waste which is great. Except now I'm due for a grocery store trip to restock the fridge. Whole Foods, here I come :-)

I had a bowl of raspberry hot cereal and then it was time to get ready to head to another part of DC - Nationals Stadium for a baseball game. The Nats faced off against the Milwaukee Brewers today and friends Lauren, Jamie, and I decided it'd be fun to go to the game.

We arrived and immediately set off in search of lunch. Jamie came from brunch and picked up a strawberry snow cone, despite it being quite chilly today.


After a lap around the stadium, we settled into some great outfields seats to enjoy the game. I got my lunch from Ben's Chili Bowl and it was delicious. The staff were also really nice regarding my requests to modify my chili cheese fries. I got the veggie chili, on the side and just a pinch of cheese. I ate all of my chili and maybe a third of my fries plus an apple that I happened to discover in my purse  :-)


We all were so engrossed in our lunches and chit-chat that we barely noticed that the Brewers had scored 10 runs in the 1st inning! Let's just say the Nats aren't ranked number 1 right now...


The sun finally came out in the 3rd inning and it was a great afternoon of chatting and enjoying the weather. There's also the Presidents race: today they chased sausages and Teddy Roosevelt even tackled one at the finish line! Oh, DC...


When we left in the 7th inning the score was 10 - 5, Brewers, but it was still a fun day!


I was starving when I got home and had an Asian pear along with an egg white, hoping that this would hold me over for a while.


It did not so I started on dinner, which was a bit of a challenge with an almost-bare fridge. Thankfully my freezer is well-stocked with veggies, which I had a strong craving for. I roasted some broccoli and cauliflower in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

I also sauteed some bell pepper, spinach, and okra in a non-stick sprayed skilled with garlic powder and paprika. After a few minutes I added a splash of veggie broth, 1/2c cooked millet, and 1/2c black beans and let everything heat through.



I plated half of this mixture over a bed of spinach and topped everything with hot sauce and barbecue sauce. It was quick and simple but hit the spot.

Dessert was a slice of toast with Earth Balance (x2 - I've been hungry all afternoon) and a little pinch of cereal.


Now it's time for bed despite it only being 9:15. I think I need a weekend to recover from my weekend! It was wonderful though and filled with good food, great company, and nice spring weather :-D  



I should have no trouble falling asleep tonight! Tomorrow's highlights are sure to include a trip to the grocery store and resuming my normal eats. I had quite a few treats this weekend.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment