Sunday, January 10, 2010

Weekend Wrap Up

Happy Monday! I hope that y'all had a good weekend. Mine was just what the doctor ordered :-)

It felt good to finally get my 9 hours of sleep that I need. I woke up on Saturday feeling refreshed and ready to tackle my weekend to-do list. After trips to Giant and Target I came home and had a quick lunch of Amy's black bean soup (with some added corn), a pear, and a special treat - rice pudding! I'd been craving it for a while so I picked some up at the store and it hit the spot!

Did anyone else forget that January is unofficially "get organized month?" As a kid, my family always used this month to organize closets, get new desks, and do a bit of cleaning out. This had completely slipped my mind until I walked into Target and saw all of the plastic bins, shelving, etc. I got a few ideas for organizing my apartment (and getting those last 2 boxes unpacked) and some motivation to clean out some stuff! Just when I'd crossed things off my to-do list, I added more...

The afternoon was spent at the gym and Whole Foods, and then it was off to babysit. I watched the Cowboys game since the baby was already asleep and am excited for their first playoffs victory in 13 years! I have to cheer for something Texan since UT's season is over...

Yesterday began early as well. The sun was shining and I felt good about getting everything done that I needed to. I had my normal hot cereal for breakfast with a couple of twists:

GF Hot Cereal (cooked on the stove and not the microwave - my weekday go-to)
1/8c buckwheat groats
1/8c BRM hot cereal
1 c water
~1 egg, liquid whites
1/8c sweet potato
cinnamon
1/2 T PB


I cooked the cereal according to the package instructions, and a few minutes before the cereal was done, I stirred in the egg whites. Not only did this make my cereal feel fluffier, it softened the cereal too! The buckwheat also added great texture, color, and nuttiness to the cereal. This might be the new combo! I stirred in the sweet potato, cinnamon, and a few raisins at the end and topped with peanut butter.



Then, it was off to Trader Joe's and the farmers market where I ran into one Wild and Crazy friend and met up with 2 others. We perused the market and I only ended up buying 1 fresh beet.

A quick workout later, I headed home for a roasting extravaganza. On the menu - 1 acorn squash, 1 sweet potato, brussel sprouts, and my beet. I used the same technique for each - cutting up the veggies, spraying a baking sheet with non-stick spray, arranging the veggies, seasoning with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and another dash of non-stick spray. The squash, beet, and sweet potato were roasted at 400 degrees for 20 minutes each side and the brussels for about 30 minutes total - stirring half-way through. Holy yum - they were all so flavorful and fresh tasting. I nibbled my way through lunch and also had the leftover soup with a pear.



I love beets but typically eat them during the summer in salads. Yet, the beet I bought yesterday was so fresh, juicy, and flavorful, that I'm sad I only bought 1 little one at the market. It seriously tasted better than candy and I am excited to buy a ton more next week!



Then, it was off to see Up in the Air and have dinner with 2 friends from my sorority. Before meeting up with them, I picked up a new book that I'm excited to read. We went to one of my favorites, Asia Nine, for sushi and Thai. The service was good - really attentive and the food came out right away. We had a delicious meal and it was great to catch up with friends!! All-in-all, relaxing yet fun weekend :-)





Here's to this week being better than last! I'm off to try to get some sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment