Monday, January 4, 2010

Back in the Game

Happy Monday! My day began early in preparation for my first day back at work! It's been quite a while since my alarm has gone off early on Mondays, and in an odd sort of way, I liked having something to wake up for. Let's hope that the motivation sticks!

The rest of yesterday was pretty uneventful. I did spend a lot of time in the kitchen and also dragged myself to the gym for a marathon session. Both felt great and were a perfect way to spend a freezing Sunday! I also learned a new lesson about Life in DC - how a radiator actually functions. It might sound silly to some of you, put this is the first time that this girl has not had central air / heat!

For lunch, I made a GF pizza using a Food for Life brown rice tortilla as my crust. For the recipe, check out this post. My toppings included: broccoli, chopped spinach, bell peppers, 1/4c reduced fat mozzarella cheese, and a bit of parmesan as well. Plus, hot chili pepper! I also had a small garden salad.

I also made chicken tortilla soup in my crock pot to have for dinner and a meal this week. While I looked at a few different recipes, I ended up compiling my own because I was craving hominy. Here's the recipe:
Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
1 c vegetable broth, reduced sodium
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery ribs, diced
1/2c chopped onion
1/2c hominy (either white or yellow works)
1/8c corn (for color)
4oz canned diced chilies
1/2c black beans
3 raw chicken breast tenders
cumin
garlic powder
chili powder
cayenne pepper
splash of lime juice

Combine all ingredients from tomatoes thru black beans in the crock pot. Stir and make sure that the pot will not overflow. Add spices and stir again. Place chicken breast pieces on top, nestled in the cooking liquid.
Cook in crock pot on high for 5 - 6 hours. *Times depend on your crockpot!
With 30 minutes remaining, remove chicken and in a separate bowl, shred with 2 forks and add back to the crock pot.

Serve with the fixin's of your choice. I crumbled a couple of tortilla chips on top and added hot sauce!
Makes 3 - 4 1.25c servings.

It was the perfect meal after a long workout. I did 75 minutes on the elliptical with some intervals mixed in for boredom as well as biceps, triceps, and shoulders with free weights for about 10 minutes. I munched on an apple while I waited that last 30 minutes for my soup to finish for some extra carbs.

Breakfast this morning was a pear, egg white, and 2 slices of toast (with PB and for my egg) and then it was off to orientation!

No comments:

Post a Comment