Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy 2010!





Happy New Year! I hope that 2010 is off to a great start for you! I'd say so far, so good, except for this frigid winter weather that's currently plaguing DC. It's freezing!

New Years Eve was spent with some good friends at an apartment party. We were supposed to head out to another party but decided to stay put since we were all having such a great time (and it was cold and rainy). It was a fun night and a great start to the new year.



Yesterday was a bit rougher. I was definitely feeling the effects of my partying and didn't get out of bed until noon! I scrounged up some breakfast and then set out to the grocery store to restock my bare fridge. I stopped by a friend's first to pick up the black eyed peas she had gotten for me and hung out for a while.

The evening was spent inside, as I was still trying to recover fully from my partying. In keeping with my Southern roots, I had to make sure to eat some black eyed peas! I created this "gumbo" recipe for dinner and really enjoyed it! Tangy, spicy, and it warms you up quick!

Southern Gumbo
1 can black eyed peas
1/3c diced onion
1/2 c sliced bell pepper
1/2c canned corn, drained
1c chopped carrots
1 1/4c chopped fresh okra
1 can diced tomatoes
1.5c vegetable broth (low sodium)
1/2 t dijon mustard
paprika
chili powder
garlic powder

Saute the carrots and onions in a cooking-prayed medium sized stock pot for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Add okra and about 1/4c broth and continue to saute for another 2 - 3 minutes.
Add the diced tomatoes, corn, bell pepper, black eyed peas, broth, and seasonings. Stir and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to a simmer, while giving the gumbo an occasional stir. Simmer for 15 - 18 minutes or until thick. (For a more soup-like consistency, simmer for less time).
Serve over rice or with corn bread. Enjoy!
makes 4 1c servings



Tonight I'm heading to the movies to finally see Up in the Air and enjoy some Thai food!

No comments:

Post a Comment