Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Perfect Sunday

After all of the excitement from Friday and the day yesterday, I didn't have it in me to do anything too exciting. I met my friend Jordan for dinner at Open City, which was lovely.  I had a delicious Sweet Pea soup and the special Grilled Cheese salad that had halloumi cheese, cucumber, tomato, and greens with a lemon-chive vinaigrette. It was a perfect summer meal but I forgot to take pics.

I stopped by a friend's going away party but only stayed for a short while because I got so tired. I was so excited to see my bed!

This morning I was hoping to sleep in a bit longer but a loudly growling stomach woke me up. My usual suspects didn't sound appealing at all and my stomach was telling me that it needed food quick. I broke into my special stash of Udi's Gluten Free bagels and defrosted and toasted one. While the bagel toasted, I cooked up a handful of spinach with ~ an egg white or 2 which went on top of half the bagel, while the other was topped with some Earth Balance.



I LOVE these bagels from Udi's. They are quite the special treat! I wish they weren't so caloric but it was definitely worth it.


I spent about an hour or so doing chores and then whipped up this berry salad to bring to my friend's pool for a little brunch and sun time. They are lucky I like 'em because I shared some of my fresh and delicious berries :-)  This salad had blueberries, strawberries, cherries, and black raspberries.


We were out at the pool for about 3.5 hours and I was surprised that my bagel sandwich held me over so well. I got hungry just as I was walking back into my apartment. The heat probably had something to do with that too :)

I had leftovers from my lunch on Friday over a bed of spinach. I went with a co-worker to a new place called Freshii downtown. You can either order off the menu or create your own salad, rice bowl, sandwich, or wrap. I was really impressed with the freshness and plethora of ingredients and the healthfulness of my meal as well. I got a rice bowl filled with veggie, edamame and black beans, and almond slices. All topped with a bit of teriyaki sauce.  I can't wait to go back, especially since the veggies are unlimited unlike other create-your-own salad places in DC.



I finally was motivated to go to the gym and did about 25 minutes (split up) on the stationary bike plus the arms workout from Week 1 of the Summer Shape Up.

For dinner tonight I needed to use up a ton of veggies in my fridge so I roasted a big batch of onion, bell pepper, broccoli, mushrooms, and sweet potato fries. Besides it being a bit warm, I kind of enjoyed being in the kitchen.


For the fries:
  • Preheat oven to 400F
  • Wash and dry sweet potato 
  • Cut into fry shapes. I cut mine in half, then slice each half. Then I cut each slice into segments that look like fries.
  • Place on foil line, cooking spray baking sheet.
  • Bake for ~20 minutes. Flip. Bake for ~10 more minutes
  • Enjoy!

I also had a serving of baked beans on the side.


Dessert was the last ~3/4 berries with a spoonful of yogurt and pinch of cocoa powder for a treat.


It's finally time to shower and then I'm probably heading to bed. I'm drained from the sun, but wouldn't trade this perfect summer day for anything!!

How was your weekend? Did you do anything exciting?

No comments:

Post a Comment