Sunday, December 13, 2009

Rain and West Side Story

Good afternoon! It's cold and rainy which made for the PERFECT morning of sleeping in, yummy hot cereal, and some West Side Story on tv!

Last night my friend BZ came over for dinner, some baking, and every girl's favorite holiday-time movie, Love Actually! We ate at a neighborhood Asian restaurant, Raku, which was delicious. I walk by Raku every time I'm headed to / from the gym, and sometimes forget that this little delicious gem exists! BZ had the Kway Teow noodles and I had the Szechuan Beef. Both were great - BZ's was sweet and savory and mine had a great "kick" to it!

Over dinner, BZ and I were discussing the recipe that we had decided to try out (BZ eats somewhat gluten free as well) and the fact that I did not own any baking soda. You see, I'm not a big baker by any means and don't even keep sugar, baking powder or soda, or most yummy ad-ins in the apartment! So after dinner, we popped into a bakery across the street to see if they could spare a mere 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Nonetheless, we made 2 interesting finds. 1) these yummy looking Chanukah cakes... and 2) that the bakery in fact doesn't do their baking in-house but at their main location out in Virginia! We were able to pick up some baking soda though, so all was not lost on our baking adventure.

I discovered this recipe for Flourless Nut Butter Cookies and thought that they might be the perfect thing for me to try. All in all, not too bad for you, and it combines 2 of my favorite things in one bowl - dark chocolate and natural peanut butter. Mmmmmm!

We popped open a bottle of wine, preheated the oven, and lit candles for Chanukah night #2! I'd say that these were pretty easy to make and taste great, especially when they're still warm from the oven! AND, they please gluten-free and gluten eaters alike!

I had a couple of the small cookies and a clementine during the movie and that was my night. A great, cozy evening!

I didn't see much of this morning, which is a-okay with me. I slept in until 11 and was ready for breakfast! I decided to try out something I've seen on other food blogs when they get to the end of a nut butter jar - Oats in a Jar! I cooked my BRM hot cereal on the stove, and then added it to the 1/2tbsp of peanut butter that was left in the jar. I mixed in 4 chocolate chips (I'm not a huge fan of sugar for breakfast) and cinnamon, and have to say, this is my new favorite way to eat my hot cereal. Sadly, this will only happen once in a while, but what a special treat!! I ate this slowly and savored each bite. Plus, how fun is it to eat straight from the jar?! I also had a pear and egg white alongside to give me some extra protein and carbs before the gym.


(all warm and steamy, fresh off the stove!)

On tap for today: the gym (I skipped yesterday to get some job stuff done), salad making for a Chanukah party tonight, Chanukah party, and babysitting. It should be a perfect end to the weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment