Thursday, December 31, 2009

An Almost Goodbye to 2009




How is it possible that on one hand, I cannot believe how fast this year has flown by, and on the other, I am ecstatic to be ringing in a new year and new decade in just a few short hours? When 2009 began, I was in such a different place than I am as the year ends (and I’m even writing this on an airplane to prove my point!) and it has been quite a journey.

This year has included:

  • being appointed Chair of a new leadership development program for SDT
  • a Quarter-Life Crisis
  • being laid-off from my job
  • attending Inaugural festivities
  • my grandmother passing away
  • completing the Avon 2-Day walk (39.3 miles) with my mom!
  • Travels to: Dallas (x7 - that I can remember), Pittsburgh (x2), Tampa, Houston (x2), New York (x2), Las Vegas, Indianapolis, Ft. Lauderdale, ISRAEL
  • Being part of a professional development program that really helped me take a step forward in my professional identity
  • a new part-time job
  • Numerous resumes and cover letters written and jobs interviewed for
  • Starting a personal blog that has morphed into a gluten-free food blog
  • Realizing what I hope to do professionally one day
  • Realizing what's important in life and who some of my truest friends are
Calling this year a roller coaster may be an understatement, but just like a kid who's exhilarated after riding a scary amusement park ride, I feel like I am a stronger, more confident me who is ushering in a new era. Ok, maybe it's not that dramatic, but I feel as though the trials, tribulations, and triumphs of the year have taught me important life lessons that will help me continue to be a better person with each and every day.

I'm hoping that 2010 will bring new challenges, adventures, and successes that are different from this past year. There's something to be said for the peace-of-mind that a full-time job brings!

Last year, instead of making New Year's resolutions, I set a few goals for myself that I was hoping to achieve. I recently discovered this list and am excited to say that, despite them all being on-going characteristics to embody and habits to act upon, I have successfully accomplished 2.5 of my 3 goals!

This year, I hope to continue to make progress on last year's goals and also to accomplish a few more things, including running a 5K race without any walking breaks and to practice being bold and taking risks when they are worth taking and to take advantage of opportunities that feel right to me.

Thank yo to those of you who have been my support system, cheerleaders, loyal blog readers, friends, and family (both true family and "adopted") over this past year. There were tons of reasons to smile over the year, and it's the people I was with that made those experiences even more special!!

What are some of your goals for the new year? Highlights from 2009?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment