Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Please Don't Go

I seriously think I'm in denial that September has begun. I know that a lot of people are ready and eager for fall. I get it, that yearning for the favorite feelings and comforts of one's favorite season. I guess it's just like I yearn for summer every February when I'm buried under snow. Summer, please please please don't go yet. I'm just not ready to say goodbye. I guess lucky for me, DC temps will be in the 90s all week and then I'm going home where you don't say the word fall until at least October. Whew, seasonal affected disorder crisis averted for now!

So as promised, here are my thoughts on class last night. I am taking a total of 4 classes this semester but the business school divides the semester into two modules. I will juggle no more than 2 classes at a time this way, thankfully. I'm starting with Organizations & Leadership and Financial Accounting. Both were pretty interesting and I really appreciated my OL professor talking about the benefits of a business education. He tried to assure us we were doing a good thing by beginning our grad school careers.

I apparently decided to torture myself by scheduling my 2 classes back-to-back on a Monday from 4:30 - 9:40. At least I'll then be done for the week yet I have a feeling I'll need the rest of the week to recover. Monday night I practically fell into bed and yesterday I had big issues getting my brain to work. I wanted time to organize and process everything I learned! I guess that's part of this adjustment period though and I at least am interested in going back to class in 2 weeks (we're off on Labor Day, woohoo!) instead of quitting so I'm taking it as a grad school victory!

I was really happy that my brain decided to wake up after lunch yesterday. I'm guessing the huge salad helped restore my mind and body. Perhaps I'll have to switch up my morning routine and refuel differently after a 12+ work and class day.

All in all, it was a good start to my grad school experience even if it means that summer is on the brink of fading away.

Are you currently enrolled in graduate school? How do you handle work and school? Do you find yourself eating differently so that you stay alert and clear-minded?

3 comments:

  1. I would like to be in grad school next year :)

    I def passed out at 9:30 after a day of classes. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally, someone who doesn't want the summer to end! I'm going out to my buildings pool one last time today just because I refuse to let go. My classes only go until 6 which is pretty convenient for having time after to digest, but I haven't figured out a good meal schedule yet. I try to eat later lunches because I usually wont get to dinner until 7.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided not to work during grad school. I worked during undergrad and every single day since so I decided I would let myself focus on school. I will tell you that I have 4 of my 5 classes on Tues/THurs from 8-5 and its a butt kicking. I keep a larabar and a clif bar in my bag and that keeps me alert. As does tea/coffee and food should taste good. I find that have a little something in between every class even 1/3 of a larabar helps a lot! I have to keep food in me because otherwise by 4 Im done.

    ReplyDelete