Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Confessions from GFG

Hi Guys,

How's it going? I guess I'm in somewhat of a letter-writing mood hence the slightly awkward greeting :) I guess Tuesdays aren't so bad when you get to see old friends, have new furniture delivered, and make progress on your to-do list, right?

I went a little MIA the past couple of days and to be honest, I just kind of needed to unplug. Not to mention that yesterday I was home sick and while I could have entertained myself online I decided to give myself a sick day from the computer too. It was glorious :)

Here's a few other confessions for you:

I still enjoy breakfast, even if it's the same thing over and over. I guess I only notice because I post it on here for you all (hot BRM cereal mix with buckwheat, 1/4c almond milk, 1/2c water, 1/2T chia, splash of vanilla, cinnamon with blueberries and topped with 1/2T peanut butter)



A lot of my friends and family don't know about the blog. Hence, I don't take pictures at some meals, like lunch today when I caught up with 2 participants from a trip that I led to Israel 2 years ago. Marshall (in the red) biked from San Fransisco to DC (~50-85 mi a day) to raise money for people with disabilities.



(I had a garden salad with grilled chicken)

I also don't photograph and post everything I eat. For example, this afternoon's nibbles on some leftovers in the office.

Homesickness and stress rarely find their way onto the blog. I like to keep a positive outlook on life and don't like griping for all the world to see.

I'm really really bad at actually studying for the GMAT. I look at the book. That counts, right?

As much as I love local and in-season foods, I sometimes just want to eat some of my favorite fruits and veggies. The downside - I'm painfully aware of how pears don't taste as good in the summer as they do in the fall and winter and chili won't make me feel my best when I head back out into a hot, humid summer night.

I'm really only excited about taking classes because of the prospect of meeting some new people. I was always the nerdy kid that did puzzles and math for fun and loved reading. I loved school but was happy to graduate college and move on. We'll see how this little adventure goes.

Fruit and nut butter is such a satisfying snack. Peach and baby plum with almond butter: case and point.



I hate wasting food and concocted this lovely little dish for dinner. I have yet to make a significant dent in my CSA box from last week and decided to use some veggies for a fresh dinner - stuffed peppers!

I sauteed a clove of garlic, diced onion, 4 diced tomatoes, 1/4c brown rice, and 1/4c black beans with oregano and basil. It simmered for a bit to make a saucy mixture while the oven preheated.

I chopped the tops off of a bell pepper and sweet Italian pepper. Using a spoon, I stuffed the peppers with the mixture and then baked in the oven, covered, for about 20 minutes. I uncovered the peppers, added some parmesan cheese, and let it cook for another 3 minutes or so until the cheese was melted. Voila!





Right after this picture I cut up the pepper and added hot sauce and a drop of Italian salad dressing. Both complemented the light, summery flavors of the pepper!

I snacked on a toaster waffle and another baby plum while doing some computer work.



Confession - my apartment and computer and black holes. I can't ever seem to leave once I come home to them. Even to the gym. I feel like that needs to change.

Alright, it's time to power down, change my sheets, and go to bed. This gluten free girl is tired and has big plans for tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Love hearing your cute little confessions, no worries though :) I forget to take pictures of my food too, it can be hard to always remember! I love eating with the seasons too but I agree sometimes I just want a certain fruit or veggie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate seasons when my favorite foods don't taste as good. Why can't things taste wonderful year round? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Confession- I have only been looking at the book for the GRE and I AM FREAKING OUTTTTTTTT. Ugh I wish I was in grad school alreadyy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven' told a lot of my friends about my blog either. My really close ones know and now help me arrange food to take pictures when we go out. You're going to be fine taking the GMAT. I really didnt study much for the GRE until the month before the test. You just need to understand the logic behind the questions and they definitely follow patterns.

    ReplyDelete