Thursday, August 12, 2010

CSA Day

I had my first experience with picking up a CSA (community shared agriculture) share today, but more on that in a second.

This morning I was woken up by intense thunder, lightening, and rain that sounded like they were right over my building. My apartment was almost as dark as it is at night! Since I was up a few minutes before my alarm I laid in bed and relaxed to the sound of the storm.

Breakfast was simple as I still wasn't feeling 100% when I woke up. 2 slices of Udi's whole grain bread, toasted. One piece topped with berry jam, the other half with 1/2T of peanut butter, and an egg white. Simple yet filling. This simple meal kept my stomach from growling until 12:15!



I was craving soup for lunch and decided to treat myself to lunch out. I went to Java Green and got the Green Soup with kale, spinach, kimchi, edamame, jobchai and kelp noodles, in a spirulina broth.



This was exactly what I was craving. I Ate all of the broth in this big container plus the veg and about a third of the noodles.

Afternoon snack was a juicy peach plus some samples at Whole Foods when I picked up a few things.

At the end of the day I had my second to last (hopefully) foot doctor appointment. He wants me to start "pushing" my injury more, testing out what I can handle. I'm going to start with the elliptical and if in a week or two it feels good to do some slow jogging intervals on the treadmill. I just hope my foot holds up!  At the end of the conversation the doctor remarked he wanted to "get me back in shape" to which I snapped back that I didn't think I looked out of shape at all. He clarified by saying back to prime cardio shape like I was before my injury but I was still pretty put off by his comment. Oh well - here's to getting to do some of my favorite exercise again!

This evening I went to pick up my CSA share for the week. Some friends are out of town and I got their produce this week. I was impressed with the freshness, color, and variety in this week's pick-up. I got:
  • basil
  • 2 summer squash
  • garlic
  • small and large onion
  • 6 yellow peaches, 2 white peaches
  • 4 donut peaches
  • 2 bell peppers
  • 2 cucumbers
  • 1 Italian hot pepper and 1 sweet pepper
  • 8 tomatoes
  • 5 plums

    My fridge smells so good from the huge bunch of basil and I can't wait to enjoy all of this delicious food!

    To make room in the fridge, I had leftovers for dinner: a vegetable enchilada with spinach salad and roasted broccoli. For dessert I had 1/2c frozen blueberries, a donut peach, and bite of rice milk ice cream with a bit of nut butter.



    I've spent the night taking care of a few things, cleaning up my kitchen, and whipping up a batch of these pickles with one of my CSA cucumbers. I of course had to sample the cuke for quality control and was blown away. It tastes just like I remember cucumbers tasting - fresh and that deep, light refreshing taste! I can't wait to see how these turn out. Instead of 2T dill, I used 1.5T dill with 1/2T combined of Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning salute and red pepper flakes for some heat.

    What new fruit or vegetable have you tried this year? I'd never had a donut peach until tonight! Has a doctor ever said anything a little "off" to you? How'd you take it? I am over it but still think he was out of line...

    3 comments:

    1. Yum! I'd really like to join a CSA but I don't know if it's practical for just one person, either financially or in terms of getting SO much produce.

      And that storm -- INSANE.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Looks like a great CSA!!! Love peaches ; )

      ReplyDelete
    3. So much food from the CSA! What are you going to make with it all?
      I have had some doctors say some rude things, and I never went back to them! I went to an ENT with a terrible cold and just wanted some meds and he told me that my nose is still crooked even though I had rhinoplasty as a teen in case I didn't know. Wasn't there for that opinion!

      ReplyDelete