Sunday, January 31, 2010

It's "snow" sunny

Being from Dallas, whenever we got snow growing up, it quickly melted, froze to ice and, on most occasions, was gone by the next day. So, when I woke up this morning, I was secretly hoping that the 4+ inches we got yesterday would miraculously have disappeared. No such luck  :(



Yesterday was pretty low key because of the weather. I did venture out to run a couple of errands, and finally found something I've been searching for over the past couple of months - fig jam!  I discovered a jar of the homemade stuff in my parents refrigerator but couldn't fly back with any. I tasted my new purchase on a piece of toast alongside an apple in the afternoon and it didn't disappoint.  The only ingredients - red figs and sugar  :-) 



I had warmed up earlier with a cup of black bean soup and the rest of my roasted potatoes and brussel sprouts.

 



I met a friend for dinner at a local restaurant, Logan Tavern. It was a refreshing departure from our normal Asian food outings.  We had a fantastic meal with excellent service. Once I told the waiter about my allergies, he dutifully let me know which parts of my (not-so-modified) order were OK and what substitutions I could make. It was so nice and made the meal even better!

Today kicked-off with my favorite way to eat my hot cereal - in a jar!  I made my BRM hot cereal on the stove top, stirring in sweet potato, a few drops of syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon at the very end. Then, into the peanut butter jar it went (there was little more than 1/2 T left) with a few raisins stirred in. YUM!  I'm still warm (and full) from it!



I already ventured out to the farmers market to pick up a few things - bosc pears, beets, collard greens, sweet potatoes, and a parsnip. The sun felt good but it sure was cold.

 

  

 


Off to enjoy the rest of the weekend!

2 comments:

  1. The farmers market looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's become one of my favorite things about DC (and the produce is fresh and local)!

    ReplyDelete