Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Work and Play

Hi everyone. How was your first day back from the long weekend? Despite working from home I somehow managed to introduce a good dose of stress and "shoulds" into my home office schedule. But I actually prefer to relive yesterday first since it was such a glorious day.

When I left you all, we were heading out for a day filled with fun. GF Grazer Mom, Dad, and I headed to Wholesome Foods Bakery where we picked up a few items to try out including 2 food bars, snack mix, and almond rusks (think biscotti.)

We then did a walk / run around White Rock Lake for 1hr 40 minutes. I have to say, the first part flew by and wasn't too hot at all despite it being the heat of the day. However on our return (we couldn't walk all the way around the lake because of my foot) the heat got to me. We slowed our pace significantly and I had to pour water on my head twice to cool down. Crisis avoided though and I felt like my old (but sweaty) self when we got back to the car.

Next was a successful trip to one of my favorite Whole Foods locations, including a salad bar lunch. This beauty contained:
  • spring mix
  • red pepper
  • Texas caviar aka black eyed peas
  • edamame
  • tamari tofu
  • broccoli
  • beets


We finally showered and rested up for a bit before I accompanied my parents to the mall. They were on the hunt for a couple of things and I never turn down the chance to go shopping. I sadly wasn't in the mood for retail therapy and my foot was hurting so I sought out chairs and other places to sit and encourage awkward conversations with stranger instead. I also snacked on a pear since it'd been a few hours since I'd eaten.

By the time we left we were all hangry and headed to Pei Wei for a quick and delicious dinner. I got the Spicy Chicken Salad, steamed and no dressing off of the gluten free menu and it didn't disappoint.

This morning I woke up to Tropical Storm Hermine and was glad to have my coffee just a room and a push of a button away. When hunger hit I reached for my bowl of overnight hot cereal that contained:
  • 1/4c BRM hot cereal
  • 1/4c plus a few splashes of almond milk
  • 1/2c water
  • 1/2c berries (raspberries and blueberries)
  • cinnamon
  • a drop of maple syrup
  • 1/2T chia seeds

This was delicious and I topped the mix with 1/2T of peanut butter and maybe a teaspoon of my grandmother's homemade fig jam.

I've decided to give up dairy for a few days to see if it helps reduce some breakouts I've been battling in the last week. My goal today was to avoid dairy and I was successful, woohoo!

Insert lots of working from home here and I was beyond ready for lunch when I got off of a conference call. I had the rest of my salad from last night plus some Beanitos with hummus (that I didn't finish because it expired yesterday.)



I did more work before going with my dad to his personal training appointment. This 1 hour workout included kettlebells, squats, ab work, arms, chest, and more. It was nice to be pushed by a trainer though. I cooled down with 10 minutes on the elliptical.

After workout snack consisted of a few almonds and a pear.



A little while later it was dinner time! One of my requests was to take advantage of the grill while I was home and my mom delivered! We had balsamic marinated (for 2 days) flank stead, grilled mushrooms, zucchini, and bell pepper, corn on the cob, and roasted okra, which my dad requested.



After dinner my mom and I ran a few errands and now I'm headed to bed before another work day before the start of the Jewish holiday. I had a bedtime snack of a slice of Udi's [well] toasted with cinnamon and brown sugar.

It was exactly what I was craving before I head to bed - last night I couldn't fall asleep until after 1am!


What are some of the things you love to eat when at home? Do you ever have trouble falling asleep when you go home?

2 comments:

  1. My mom makes amazing filet and twice baked potatos....Ill pretty much come over anytime she wants to cook for me haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks great. Actually I tend to sleep better when I am home...sometimes find it hard to get up because I am sleeping so well. Weird, not sure why. I guess my body knows it can rest or something.

    ReplyDelete