Monday, September 6, 2010

Texas, Texas Yeehaw!

That is a University of Texas cheer, not how we really speak down here in Dallas ;)

I woke up this morning at home after a day of travel and kicking off the 2nd half of my weekend with family and some fun.

Before going to bed I whipped up a batch of overnight hot cereal but had to make some substitutions given what was in the pantry and fridge before our big Whole Foods adventure later this afternoon. In the mix:
  • 1/4c Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty GF Hot cereal
  • 3/4c water
  • 2 spoonfuls of Greek yogurt (stirred in after cooking hot cereal)
  • 1/2T chia seeds
  • 1/4t vanilla rice protein powder (didn't love it but gave it a shot)
  • 1/3c fresh blueberries
  • 1t homemade fig jam
  • 1/2T almond butter


Rewinding back to Saturday night, I snacked on my last peach and a baby Asian pear while watching Texas beat Rice. It was not our best win but it was a W none the less.



To finish project Empty the Fridge I mixed my last serving of Cuban black beans with some frozen and defrosted broccoli, spinach, and bell pepper. Plus a corn tortilla that I baked into chips.



I went out Saturday nigh to celebrate a friend's birthday but made it home at a reasonable hour to prepare for my day of travel.

Yesterday I woke up about an hour before my alarm was set to go off. Instead of wasting time around my apartment I got my butt out the door for a quick 2 mile walk / run to loosen my legs up from Saturday's 6.25 miler and before I sat all day on airplanes. The weather was perfect and I even felt a bit of a chill at first - there was 0 humidity which was great but I'm still not ready for fall.

I had an egg sandwich for breakfast with 2 egg whites, some spinach, and hot sauce and red pepper spread on 2 slices of Udi's whole grain bread.



Enter some more chores, a Super Shuttle ride and airport stuff and I was ready for lunch a few hours later. After finding success in August, I decided to revisit the restaurant where you can create your own salad. I had one made with romaine, broccoli, carrots, sun-dried tomatoes, and banana peppers plus a small pinch of parmesan. The woman was confused as to why I didn't want a mound of cheese on top of my salad but I was completely happy with my 3 little pieces.



I also picked up a Mango all fruit smoothie for the plane.



Enter an uneventful (those are the best kind) plane ride and 3 financial accounting-induced cat naps and I made it to St. Louis with one short plane ride to go. I picked up some 'local' all natural Wisconsin string cheese to eat with an Asian pear and the last of some Gorilla Munch cereal.



I finally arrived in Dallas a few hours later and headed to dinner with the family. We picked a place called Fireside Pies which I was at first reluctant to visit. They had GF crust but the last time I ate GF pizza out it ended very badly.

Our experience at Fireside Pies was nothing short of amazing. Both the manager and our server were informed of my dad and I eating gluten free and were extremely accommodating. They answered every question we had, were patient with modifications and clarifications regarding ingredients, and everything arrived hot and perfectly as we had ordered it. This meal was top-notch based on our wait staff experience alone!

My dad and I shared a chopped salad, sans prosciutto and dressing on the side which I dominated a good 2/3 of. We also shared the Texas Beef Sausage pizza on GF crust. My 2 slices were sans cheese. I had 1.5. Delicious - the sausage was hands down the best part.



From there my family had a hankering for self-serve fro yo and who am I to say no ;) My grandparents also met us as they were eager to see their granddaughter :) I was pretty full so I just got a drop of tangerine / orange sorbet with a few berries on top.



We got home and played rummicube and then called it a night.  Today we are doing a few of the following:
  • visiting a new gluten free bakery that opened up
  • 6 mile walk around White Rock Lake
  • Whole Foods!! And yes, I really do have an unhealthy obsession
  • Labor Day shopping
  • grilling out at home
HAPPY LABOR DAY!

1 comment: