Sunday, September 26, 2010

Unexpected Twist

Last night took an unexpected twist shortly after I finished blow drying my hair to go out. I got the first symptoms of a migraine :( I quickly popped an Advil, put on pajamas, and crawled into bed... at the late hour of 9:52pm. I fell asleep about 45 minutes later but woke up in the middle of the night with extreme hunger pangs. I made a mini cup of hot cereal (~1T of grains) and crawled back into bed. I finally woke up at a reasonable morning hour of 9:15am with another round of hunger pangs.

Enter - hot cereal with blueberries plus an egg white with a drop of cheese. It's cloudy and in the 60s so a hot breakfast that was quick to make was a perfect choice. The cereal is topped with 1/2T total of almond and peanut butters plus a few crushed almond slices.



From there I set out for groceries for the week from the Farmers Market and Whole Foods. I first perused the market for a bit:


Here's the haul for the week (plus there was a mini trip to Trader Joe's on Friday for a few essentials):



Farmers Market:
  • corn
  • Honeycrisp apples
  • eggs
  • Comice pears plus one Asian pear
  • kabocha squash (1st time trying it!)
Whole Foods:
  • Food for Life English muffins
  • kale
  • roasted buckwheat (kasha)
  • maple syrup
  • onion
  • barbecue sauce (it was $1.70 so I stocked up!)
  • frozen strawberries
  • frozen broccoli
  • Food Should Taste Good chips, The Works flavor
  • baked beans 
Total: about $45
That may seem high for one person but keep in mind the gluten free barbecue sauce, syrup, and English muffins were $5 a piece. I also don't mind spending my money for some of the best tasting, local apples and pears. Store-bought just can't compete!

I procrastinated getting work done by prepping a soup for the week in the crockpot. Here's a hint:



Any guesses??

How much do you spend on groceries each week? Do you prefer buying specific types of food (local, organic, what's available, etc)?

1 comment:

  1. I've never tried The Works flavor! As for guesses on the soup....some sort of squash soup? Parrish and I spend around $100 a week on groceries!!!! But I only like to buy Organic, free range chicken and it's pricey! We're trying to lower that number by having a few less meat nights a week. Cross your fingers!

    ReplyDelete