Thursday, September 16, 2010

It's all about cravings

Today I let my stomach guide my meals as I had some cravings that popped up as I considered what to eat throughout the day. I guess after a fast week of thinking about so many things it was nice to not have to make extra decisions :) Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday though!

Breakfast this morning was a hot bowl of cereal. Last night I just didn't have the time to prep overnight hot cereal but it suited the pleasant morning we had. This bowl contained:
  • 1/4c Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty GF Hot Cereal and buckwheat
  • 1/4c unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/2c water
  • 1/2T chia seeds
  • 1/2T almond butter
  • 1/4 apple, diced
  • ~1/4c frozen blueberries
  • a few crushed almond slices
  • cinnamon
  • splash of vanilla

It was the perfect fuel for my morning at the office.  I made my way home for lunch and for about the hour before and my entire walk home, I couldn't think of anything else besides tomato sauce. Weird, but I went with it. I whipped up a thin crust pizza on a Food for Life brown rice tortilla. I toasted the tortilla first before topping it with tomato sauce mixed with wilted greens, basil, oregano, and garlic powder. Hit. The. Spot. Plus a small salad on the side.



That lunch kept me full for a good 3.5 hours which was great and kept my mind focused on my work at hand. I had a small snack towards the end of the day of the remaining 3/4 of an apple drizzled with some TJ's peanut butter.



I had a couple of errands to run after work and then spent some quality time in the kitchen. I cooked lunch for tomorrow and prepped a special dinner for tomorrow night before the holiday begins. Here's a hint of what's to come:


It's been raining since the late afternoon and that coupled with the lack of natural light and more cool temps had me craving some fall and winter comfort foods for dinner. I had the last serving of the TJ's black bean soup with 1/2c of black beans mixed in and topped with a pinch of cheese. On the side I had a baby red potato, 1/4 of a sweet potato (both leftover from tomorrow's dinner prep) and some steamed broccoli with a clementine for dessert.



Now I'm heading out to celebrate my friend Suzy's 24th birthday! Here's to a bit of fun on a dreary Thursday night!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how long you've been gluten-free, but we're coming up on four years. it's definitely easier now than it was just four years ago! And I agree, go with your cravings. It's your body communicating with you.

    ReplyDelete