Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil

After hearing all of the buzz in the blog world about coconut oil and coconut butter, I started looking for some to try out. Now, despite my enjoying coconut milk ice cream, I have never really loved coconut. Not coconut water, not coconut shavings, etc. so I was secretly hoping that coconut oil wouldn't taste too strongly like coconut. I know, it sounds silly, but a girl can hope, right?

There are a lot of benefits to using coconut oil, which you can read about here. I thought it might be a great way to incorporate a new healthy fat into my diet.

So, when the folks at Tropical Traditions offered to send me a sample of coconut oil to try I thought "Why not?"



I decided to try it on a piece of toast, something that would highlight the flavor in a subtle way. The oil is a solid at room temperature but I found that it melted very quickly on the toast, like butter.





Upon tasting it, the flavor was pretty strong - like a mouthful of coconut. It's not quite my favorite, so I'm not sure how often I will be using this.  If you are looking for a new oil to use and enjoy the tropical flavor of coconut then I recommend giving this oil a shot!  I am glad that I had the chance to try this oil but do not think that it will become a pantry staple.


Disclaimer: Tropical Traditions provided me with a free sample of this product to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose.  Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product.

No comments:

Post a Comment