Sunday, August 9, 2009

Greek Week!

Those of you who know me in the slightest know that my Greek ties run deep. I'm certain it is a result of being raised around my dad's fraternity and having Sigma Alpha Mu conventions influence the locations of family vacations (always in August, and my brother and I were lucky to get to travel to some cool places. It's often been said that I'm following in my dad's Greek footsteps and I'm happy to admit that my upcoming Greek Week travels will end with my 17th (or maybe it's 18...) SAM convention banquet. And to think, I almost didn't go Greek!

My first of many Greek Week activities will take place in Sin City - Las Vegas, NV. I am going to a conference called Israel Amplified where Greek college students will learn how to effectively advocate for Israel on their campuses. I'll be representing my sorority, Sigma Delta Tau, at the conference and am excited to get to know some of our women as well as the students from numerous other Greek organizations.

A sure-to-be highlight of Israel Amplified is that 10 of my students from the Birthright Israel trip I staffed in June will be in Vegas!

My co-staff and I have kept in touch with many of our students but it will be great to see them for a mini reunion! It's wonderful to see that many of them want to strengthen their ties to Israel and learn how to promote the many aspects of the State of Israel on campus, and within their Greek organizations. 839 - I'm looking forward to seeing y'all soon!


The next stop on my tour of the southwest is Dallas. Once again, I will be representing SDT, this time at the SAM convention. Sammy is celebrating their centennial this year and I'm looking forward to the festivities. It should be fun to be at another convention while my dad is serving as their National President yet this stop is not merely for pleasure.

I will also be observing a program for a cohort of undergraduate leaders who have been working on some aspects of the conference for the past 8 months. I am chairman of a similar program for SDT (called the Collegiate Leadership Team) so I'm excited to see how the men have implemented their ideas through various workshops and conversations. I'm hoping that my time in Dallas will give me some ideas on how to run CLT effectively in the upcoming year.

It will also be nice to see my parents, brother, and hopefully other family and friends while I'm home. It's been hard for me to sit still so-to-speak this summer so I'm excited for another trip during my summer.

I hope y'all have a great week and I'm excited to share all about my Greek Week when I return!

2 comments:

  1. Wait, you're Greek?!?? How did I not know this??

    :-D

    Avi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! The pic of you and your dad is great! I'm sorry I couldn't be there this year, but I'm pretty sure I'll come to the one in Doral at Miami next summer haha.

    ReplyDelete